Monday, January 25, 2010

So Much Things to Say

I am on board the Mississippi National Guard, C-17 Military transport jet travelling back to Florida after what was probably the most stressful week of my life. Amidst the stress, it was also perhaps the most amazing week of my life too. As I sit among about 100 passengers, many relief workers such as myself, and the rest are Haitian refugees, I am having difficulty processing everything I just experienced. I saw destruction and death like I had never seen it before, but I also saw resilience and hope unlike I had ever known. At times, I felt overwhelming anxiety and fear, but there were moments of total peace and serenity between the horrific sights and sounds. I’m sure it will take some weeks to really wrap my mind around what I have just seen in Haiti, so expect more posts in the coming days. I have so much that I want to say about my experiences, but I cannot even put it into context to begin to write. One thing is certain though...what I saw in Haiti has changed me, and I will never be the same again. For now, I just want to post the few photos I was able to take (as electricity and opportunities to charge my camera battery were rare). I will leave out the gruesome ones out of respect for the dead and injured.

Forever changed,
chad

“We learn geology the morning after the earthquake.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson



The charter plane we took from Fort Lauderdale


Me with Patricia of American Airlines and Vanessa of Angel Missions Haiti prior to departure


Beautiful are the feet...
Vanessa and I settle in for the flight in the cabin of the airplane


We had a 15 minute layover in the tiny Bahamas island airport on the way to Haiti


Structural Damage to St Joseph's Home and Vanessa's place (Where we stayed at night)


Me pumping cistern water through the filter for drinking later on


One of the many tent cities that had sprung up all over the city:
We made rounds here, mostly looking at wounds and other minor medical problems


Earthquake Damage


Earthquake Damage


Earthquake Damage


Earthquake Damage


Earthquake Damage


Earthquake Damage:
I know you have seen pictures of the damage on CNN already, but what these photos cannot capture is the extensive and pervasive destruction the earthquake left. Buildings looked like this EVERYWHERE, some entire blocks just gone. And what you can't see is that as you would walk by these buildings, you could smell rotting bodies still trapped inside. CNN has focused on people pulled from the rubble, but this has been only 100 or so people. When you look around, what you really see is how much death this earthquake caused.


Nos Petits Freres et Soeurs (Our Little Brothers and Sisters) Haiti Hospital
This pediatric hospital had been temporarily converted to a general hospital, and we were able do the most surgery here. Mostly I did wound debridement, burn care, and amputations.


Courtyard of the Little Hospital


Patients overflowed from the hospital's wards into the grounds in tents and make-shift wards


I think this was a consent form, but my french is rusty...



Even people with homes that were standing were reluctant to sleep in doors fearing more aftershocks, and many were sleeping outside on the streets.


This was suppose to be the new Angel Missions Surgi-Center, but most of the new surgical equipment was on the 3rd floor stuck under that collapsed ceiling.
I rumaged around the first two floors to find enough supplies to help with the clinic/infirmary that Joanne eventually set up at the site


I had to leave earlier than planned due to some unforseen repercussins of me leaving Boston so suddenly. This is the military C-17 jet that took us home (A little faster than on the way in)


This is the Mississippi Air National Guard C-17 transporter. Previously, I have not been a fan of Mississippi, but my feelings changed drastically today.


Boarding the plane at Port Au Prince airport


Something interesting happened when we boarded. Most of the relief workers elected to sit on the floor, and gave the seats to Haitian refugees. It was a spontaneous, but beautiful moment.


Me and another surgeon from San Diego ready to fly home


Beautiful are the feet...okay maybe smelly are the feet after wearing these boots for close to a week


Arrival in Orlando around sunset: God Bless America!

5 Comments:

At Tue Jan 26, 01:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the photos and respecting the dead by sparing us readers of your blog, the gruesome photos, which CNN has already done alot of. That's wonderful you were able to bring many Haitian refugees back to the United States with you. And it's wonderful you were able to treat some of the injured!

 
At Tue Jan 26, 07:34:00 PM, Blogger verda said...

Chad we love you so much,may God continue to bless you so you can help the ones that most needed..Words can not express how i appreciate you..Love verda and family

 
At Tue Jan 26, 08:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad, What you and the others have done to help the Haitian people in their time of need is an act of kindness which will be remembered by those whose life you touched forever. Thanks for sharing your experiences with those of us who are unable to personally go and offer our assistance. May God bless you and yours for using your skills to help Haitians during this tragedy.

 
At Wed Jul 28, 05:36:00 PM, Blogger Anya said...

I am so glad that you were able to go and that you shared your experiences with us. I was not far enough in training to go down to help (nor would our program let us go)...who needs a gen surg intern? but I hope that in the future I will be able to help with surgical camps abroad. Thank you for writing what you do, it is very inspiring to those of us still in training and with a strong interest in giving back to the global community and under served patients.

 
At Mon Aug 02, 08:27:00 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Thanks for all you are doing and for what you will be doing. If you ever want to join us in Peru let me know. Chuck http://juanjuiproject.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home