Saturday, November 22, 2008

Financial and Professional Update


I woke up this morning to very good news.  I checked my email, and found a message from the Durant Fellowship Committee.  They had sent me a message saying that of the 11 applicants, I was one of the 3 who had been chosen to receive the fellowship.  The fellowship is more than just a nice award to put on my curriculum vitae; it is funding that should meet 90% of my needs while I am here in Africa.  Please join me in thanking God for this blessing to allow me to continue my work here in Africa without financial worry.

To back up for a moment, I first began to seriously consider this post-residency trip to Africa about two years ago.  Over the next year, my plans solidified, but a comprehensive funding source to pay for an extensive trip never materialized.  In case I did not make this clear before, I am here in Africa volunteering as a surgeon for free.  Additionally, I have to pay for travel, lodging, food, and many other costs to be here.  Prior to leaving Boston I was able to complete an application for the Durant Fellowship which is a stipend and training for those wishing to spend 6 months to a year  working abroad in an international resource limited setting.  (Originally, it was explicitly for working in refugee camps, but the scope has been broadened).  So, I felt good about my application, but also understood that I was competing against 10 other applicants for one of 3 fellowships.   Even without securing funding, I felt led to be faithful, and come to Africa anyway.  Every time worry crept into my mind that my financial needs might not be met, I would remember the many promises of God to be faithful to those who are obedient to Him.  So for this financial blessing to come to fruition (7 weeks after I already left for Kenya) is worthy of celebration and praise.  God is indeed faithful, and I have wanted for nothing at any point during this trip. 

***

The other update I want to post on the blog is that the fellowship match results have come out, and I will be returning to the MGH for my trauma fellowship from 2009-2011.  As many of you know, I went across the US for interviews at many well-known trauma centers including Miami (Jackson Memorial Hospital), Atlanta (Grady Hospital affiliated with Emory), Philadelphia (Hosp of University of Pennsylvania), and Los Angeles (USC/LA County Hopsital).  While I was very impressed with these programs, the mentorship at these places does not compare with what I have at “home” at MGH with Dr. Velmahos, Alam, and DeMoya.  I am a little disappointed to not be able to live closer to family (LA), but I am thrilled that these three surgeons will be in charge of my professional growth as they are doctors, scholars, and gentleman of the highest caliber.   Mostly, I am excited to be  returning to the MGH which has become a second home for me.  And after living in Africa, I am sure that Boston will feel like it is right around the corner from Texas and California.


Yours in celebration of good news,

chad

 

“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.”

~Albert Schweitzer

4 Comments:

At Sun Nov 23, 01:09:00 AM, Blogger Joanne Wilson said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you Chad! Congratulations:) God is so faithful!

 
At Sun Nov 23, 05:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAHOOOOO!

Favor Follows The Faithful!!

Evang. Ro*

 
At Thu Dec 04, 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Wilson said...

so you have a little extra money? enough to invest in some turntables and a mixer?

i saw you...i know you got the bug...

DJ Scapel
DJ Qwik2Cut
DJ Cutswell
DJ Everfresh

 
At Tue Dec 09, 03:59:00 PM, Blogger chitowncathy said...

YOU GO BOY! That is GREAT news Chad! You know for some reason, I just didn't see you living in LA. And congrats on the $$$$ too! I knew you were going to get it, I KNEW, I told your mom that you were going to get it. That is fantastic! Yes, HE is faithful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home