Thursday, June 23, 2005

War is Hell

As a follow up to the story in Ethiopia, I read about this disturbing trend occurring in the Congo. The ethnic hostilities documented in the movie Hotel Rwanda still persist to this day. When I read this story, I could not wrap my mind around how these men are able to brutally rape women that look like their sisters and mothers... How tattered does the social fabric have to become in order for this to become commonplace? They say “war is hell”, and I believe it. The fighting has left this society so fractured, that these men no longer have any idea of right and wrong. It’s ironic, because when wars begin, they usually start in the name of “right versus wrong”, but this story is just more evidence that violence rarely achieves the positive result that it’s instigators intended it to..

Your repulsed brother,
chad

"War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrow."
~Martin Luther King, Jr (1929-1968)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home